Tuesday 11 August 2009

How to......



....Transform a simple frame into a vintage style treasure!!
Hello! As I'm trying to multitask a gazillion jobs at the mo, I have nothing specific to show today so thought I would share some secrets!!
You can do this projects with stuff everyone has lying about in their cupboard,

A vintage style postcard or picture
2 tester paint pots in contrasting colours
Pva white glue
Wax candle
unfinished wood frame

Start with one of these



Give it a coat with one base colour...I've picked cherry red!!




When dry, take a candle and rub around the edges of the frame, where you would see natural wear and tear
If that's the only distress look you want then skip the next step!!



To get a cracked paint look, don't spend lots of money on Crackle glazes, just thin down some PVA white glue with some water and brush on where you would like the paint to crackle...I've painted all down the middle of the frame. The thicker you apply it the bigger the cracks I like to do a bit of a mix!!


When they glue is still tacky but not Wet...paint over your top coat quite thickly but be careful not to paint over and over the same place or your crackles wont show..I've used Pale Eau de nil


The crackles will start to show through as it dries. You then take a scrap of sandpaper or a scraper and lightly scrape away at where you applied the wax, mainly around the edges


Then at this point you can leave as is or dab on some different coloured paint to tone the colours of the picture in..I've used some light blue and dabbed it around. You can also Age it by mix a little brown paint with water and dabbing that with some cotton wool around the edges of the frame to dirty it up a bit....its all about what you prefer though!!

And there we have it!! These would work nicely with the keep calm postcards or maybe a particular birthday card that you cant bear to throw away.
If you do try this please post pics I'd love to see!!! Hope it was helpful
Annie x

16 comments:

myvintageparty said...

Looks great.... I always wondered how you got the crackle glaze look. I will definately have to give it a go. I'll let you know when i've had a go!
L x

MelMel said...

Thats lovely,
Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog, I do pop in to everyone to say hi!
I'll be back later to read more of you lovely blog!

In the meantime I've joined your followers list so I don't miss out!

Melxxx

Unknown said...

Thanks Mel!! Lovely of you to pop in!! xxx

Nadine said...

I love hearing how you create your lovely crafty stuff, Annie. I've never heard of using pva glue as a crackle glaze before.

Unknown said...

Thanks Nads and Laura,

I only discovered it by accident! Thats what a decade of crafting will do to ya!! Much cheaper than expensive crackle glazes too!!
Thanks for your comments xx

Victoria - Florence and Mary said...

Brilliant idea! I might just give that a go,

Victoria xx

VintageWantsNotNeeds said...

Hi Annie, Thank you so much for sharing that technique, will definately give it a go. By the way welcome to the team for the Vintage and Home Made Fair in Northampton, looking forward to seeing you there. Debbie

Lucy Pursglove-Jones said...

This is such a helpful post, cheers! ;)

Tinyholder said...

this is a great tip, thanks!

cindy@cottage instincts said...

Can't wait to try this! Thanks for the tips :o)
I'm a new follower!
peace, cindy

nannykim /spindle cottage said...

Cool idea--what kind of glue is it--you gave some initials but I am not sure what that means?

Unknown said...

hey there hun...I sent a reply but just in case....its normal white glue..I think its called Elmers glue in America??
Would love to see if anyone does try it!!
thanks for visiting x
Annie x

niartist said...

oooo - I'm a BIG fan of the crackle finish - and this looks AMAZING! So beautiful! Thanks for sharing, and inspiring!

Tinyholder said...

i'm going to try this out this weekend on some of the goodies I have bought for my shop. :-)

Anonymous said...

Thank you, that was extremely valuable and interesting...I will be back again to read more on this topic.

Anonymous said...

Sweet site, I had not come across birdcagesnbutterflies.blogspot.com earlier during my searches!
Continue the good work!